Monday, September 19, 2011

Gotta get back, back, back to school....again!! (Insert song from Greece 2 here)

Last fall I decided to go back to school.  After having two children, meaningless job after meaningless job, I decided it was time to follow through on my original plan...nursing school.

Although I was super excited about going back to school, I was so very frightened at the same time.  Here I was a thirty something wife and mother of two precious girls... a STUDENT again.  Could there be anything more horrifying??  Well as it turns out, there was...I'll explain in uno momento.  (By the way...that's spanish...thats one of my courses THIS semester).  The first day I walked into Computer "101" and met not one, but two very interesting people.  One of which (thank the dear sweet Lord!!) was close to my age!!!  Finally I could find someone to relate to, AND she had kids relatively close in age to mine.  (If you'll remember from my last blog that the majority of mothers I had previously me were all a decade younger than I.)  As it turned out, my first semester back to college after having been absent for about 15 years, was wonderful.  I learned so many things, like the fact that the human mind is not fully capable of understanding and comprhending algebraic equations until the late 20's into the late 40's, and met so many interesting people!!  I should have sucked it up and gone back to school years ago. 

Now...  the most horrifying semester occured just this past spring semester when I decided to take... (drum roll please) CHEMISTRY!!!  (Insert horror music here).  After week 1 passed, I noticed my eye had developed this incessant twitch.  The equations and mathetmatics involved in chemistry were stressing to say the least.  Twitch, twitch.  The labs were actually fun, yet involved the equations...twitch, twitch.  The first exam... OMG!!!  TWITCH, TWITCH.  I made a B.  The hubby moved his schedule from graveyard shift, to evening...twitchity, twitch.  Exam #2, I made a C.  Homework fell out of my bookbag, I dreamed of chemicals and their properties.  The periodic table of elements became the playground in my nightmares.  My eye TWITCH,TWITCH, TWITCH!!!  Every night before bed, I would pray to the chemistry Gods to please make it go away!  I formed study groups with other students who were just as nerve wracked as myself...  Can you picture it?  A group of chemistry students all fall into the library, their brains wracked from chemical names, protons? or neutrons? and is that an electron?  Our hair in little puff piles on our heads, the men are balding by now...(those poor 18 year old babies...no hair), all in the name of earning a decent grade!  I don't know how I managed to do it, yet I did, eye twitch and all...I earned an A!!! Holy smokes!!

Summer semester was super easy and a very welcome relief to the hardest time in my life.  Thanks God I took chemistry when I did, because I don't ever want to approach that hallowed hall again!

This semester it's papers, foreign languages, algebra...and microapplications (where only the dumbest of dumb learn and the students teach the professor!).  Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment